Saturday, November 13, 2010

Giving Up Summer

This girl in one of my classes, I'm semi friends with (re: friends not outside of school, only in class cause we usually sit in the same seat, by each other) is a couple years younger than me and she totally proved it in a conversation we had the other day. I was talking to her about classes, telling her I had just picked out what I would take over summer...I asked her if she would be attending summer school and her reply was "I dunno, I dunno if I want to give up my summer ya know!?"


Oh girl, I totally know.

Her response cracked me up and reminded me of myself, only a couple years ago I would have said the same thing! Back then I wouldn't really care and didn't need to worry if I didn't have a job through summer, I liked the time off because I love sleeping in and I'm so good at not waking up til noon. I didn't really consider the option of attending summer school, because I would be there in the fall and spring anyways, and to me summer=beach and beach+summer classes=doesn't really work.


I just loved her response. "Dunno if I'm ready to give up my summer." I cant blame her though and know how she feels. I think she is like 18, and when I was that age summer was everythinggggggg. Its still nice and everything, but its no longer all "lounging at the pool and not worrying about anything from the middle of June until August" Not for me anyways. Nowadays I "give up" my summer to summer school, in order to stay on track & have less courses to take during the fall semester, I don't mind going and getting a course or two out of the way. And BF doesn't get to stop working just cause its summer! I'm turning 22 this year and I have to say my summers are alot different than the ones I had in high school and as a 18 year old. But those were some of the best ones though, so I'm so glad I have them to look back on. And now I'm actually ok with "giving up my summer", I mean, I kind of have to be ok with it! Bills don't stop coming just cause its summer. Summer doesn't mean the kitchen and bathroom stop needing cleaned. Even if its only a little, I can see that I've definitely grown up! Weird!



*Have you had to give up your summer? Is it still one of your favorite parts of the year? If you have kids would they say summer is everything?

No comments: