Saturday, December 19, 2009

I Wish I Could Bake A Cake Filled With Rainbows And Smiles And We'd All Eat And Be Happy...

"Mmmmm El! Cake! Oohh I know that is my red velvet birthday cake! Oooh with that frosting! I cant wait!"
I had the cake wrapped up in my Moms fridge waiting till after presents, but of course she had to take a look. She thought she had it all figured out too! She gave a good guess though, red is the top layer and easiest to see since I was running low on frosting. But she didn't really figure it out till she cut her piece and then it was a round of "Oh My Gosh's!"
So I knew I had regular food coloring in stock, but I went to the craft store to see what kind of dyes they had for baking. I found some icing dye and decided to try that. It made each color super brilliant and bright, but it tasted like crap. I dipped a toothpick in the dye for the purple and blue layer, a little of that stuff goes a really long way. And I also think it made the cake a little mushy, because purple and blue were the softest layers. Anyways. I had major doubts about how the colors would come out after baking, especially after I stopped using the icing dye. I was not happy with the cake mix red I came up with, it was wayyyy too pink, but it was perfect when it came out! I was so happy. I totally thought I was going to have to whip up a batch of cookies instead or something but the cake turned out to be something I was proud to serve. I kind of wanted to call it the exciting cake because that's how it made everyone feel. I was excited to bake it and see how it would come out, I was excited to see how surprised everyone would be, and they were excited to see and taste such a beautiful cake.
I don't know why but sometimes things just don't go as I think they would. I don't know what I was expecting a frosting made with 80% cream cheese to taste like. But it was just a little too cream cheesy for my taste. And then I remembered I wasn't an only child, I have a sister who hates anything cream cheese, so I had to dump it. What a waste! $10 worth of cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar down the drain. But perfectionist wanted her mom to have a cake that tasted as good as it looked, for everyone! So I whipped up a batch of my go to cool whip frosting. Oh but of course I didn't have enough pudding, and not nearly enough cool whip, but plenty of milk. Well, I made it work, I had to. Sure the layers of frosting in between were thin and the cake wasn't heavily frosted all the way around, but I was happy with it! And I couldn't believe that. Perfectionists sometimes doesn't like their own creations you know? But I kind of even surprised myself with the cake. I got to the picture after I started eating ha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved looking at your blog but the font you're using is so small that it's difficult to read. Just something about which to think. Merry Christmas to you and a happy new year to come.